Night 1

     "I'm sorry your first night will be over so quickly, only two souls to work with tonight I'm afraid." Necrana, goddess of death said to Andronel, her newest angel. "That's alright m'lady, I'm sure it's going to be an enriching experience none the less." "Good, and good luck, your first soul is a Sir Howard of Graven. He was a knight who was tasked with the slaying of Morgan, the necromancer spider king. He was however to wait for reinforcements, but felt it would be more "heroic" to go it alone. You can imagine how well that went considering I'm asking you to go and retrieve him."(I am using a procedurally generated deck of tarot cards for this game from this website, I drew an upright knight of swords for this soul. It depicts an image of a horse, as all knight cards for this deck series dose, but the horse has clawed arm sticking out of it holding a black circle. The head of the horse has a spider web with a bone in it, hence the necromancer spider king. The horse also has the image of a tree on it. The significance of the arm and the tree will hopefully be made clear later in the text. Also I rolled a two on a d6 for reference. I reversed the meaning of the number values to be more intuitive to me and made a "mini-game" out of the difficulty numbers. I will roll my d6 whenever Andronel tries to convince a soul to move on. The result will determine weather or not he's successful. He needs to roll equal to or higher than the difficulty level, hence why the reversal of the number meanings. He also need to roll a number of accumulative successes equal to the difficulty level to convince a soul to move on. For example, a difficulty 6 soul will need six rolls of six before they will move on.) "I will go get him right away m'lady!' And with that he was on his way.

     Andronel found himself manifesting at the mouth of a cave, no doubt the spider king's lair. He came upon the ghost of the knight cowering in a corner as a giant spider was feasting on his corpse! "No...no,no,no,no... this can't be happening, this has to be some trick!" "I'm afraid it's the real deal my friend, your time has come." "Bu-bu-bu-but there's so many things I've yet to do, like slay the spider king!" "Sorry, you only get one shot at this life thing, and you threw yours away on foolishness." "Surely my story doesn't end here dose it? That isn't a fitting end for a hero!" "I'm afraid that's just not how life works. Besides your no hero, your a fool who thought sacrificing yourself for nothing was brave!" "Nothing..." "Now come along, The Tree of Providence awaits." "Why? It's not like I have anything to show for my life, I never did anything for anyone, and when I tried I got myself killed..." "It's not like The Tree of Providence is damnation happy, sure he may be disappointed by your poor choices, but otherwise he will except you with open branches." (I rolled a one, not a good start.) "I want to have another chance at making him proud! I will slay the spider king!" "Do you have ectoplasm in your ears? I said there is no going back!" "I must try!" "And what? Fight him with your zombifed body?" Herold turned around to see his half eaten corpse rise up as a zombie before the spider king. "Morgan!" Herold then charged at Morgan, ghostly blade drawn, but was dismayed to see it pass through him with not even a reaction to his presence! "No!" "Yes, as I have said your time has come!" "If not me who will put a stop to him?" "Someone with more patience for strategy than you!" (I rolled a five this time, one more!) "A-am I really that replaceable?" "As an individual? Never. As a knight? Easily. Now come, as I said The Tree of Providence is waiting for you. He is always looking for more helpers, and you will most likely find your eternal calling as one of them." (A two this time, a success!) "You-your right, I've heard of no one returning from the dead, and I'm wasting my afterlife thinking I'll be the first. I'm ready to move on." "Excellent, follow me!" As soon as Andronel said that a portal opened up before them. The two of them stepped on through.

    After depositing Herold to his proper afterlife, Andronel "heard" Necrana's voice in his head. "Excellent work! Now you have the task of assisting a Roy Masters with passing on. He has had a sorted past filled with anger, however he has made great strides to improving but he needs help coming to terms with his life. (This time I drew a reversed five of pentacles, which depicts a hand with two bull tails coming out of it's sides. The hand seems to emerge from a broken eggshell, which seems to suggests a birth of sorts, which goes nicely with the reverse five of pentacles meaning of recovery, as in a rebirth of sorts. The hand is making a gesture that is hard to describe, as I don't know the name for it, but it, especially upside down seems untrustworthy for some reason, hence the sorted past, and the bull tails are where I'm getting a sense of anger from. All this is underneath the small image of a tree, so I will most likely reference The Tree of Providence again, but Roy won't necessarily be another worshiper of that deity, maybe he was assisted by members of that faith community during his last years given that Tree of Providence worshipers are supposed to desire to help people in general regardless of those people's faith. I rolled a four for his difficulty level.) "Yes, of course m'lady, I won't let you down!"

    Andronel manifested in a room with the corpse of an elderly man, and the ghost of said man sitting on the bed near the corpse. There were men and women in holy garb suggesting they worshiped The Tree of Providence in the room with them tending to the body. They of course could see neither Andronel nor the ghost of Roy, nor did passing through them allow the living to sense their presence. "My time has come, hasn't it?" Asked Roy noticing Andronel. "It's not as bad as you may think." "What do you mean? Do you even know the life I lived?" "I've been briefed." "Well, did they tell you I've scorned everyone to care about me? That I am the source of all my problems?" "I'm sure your loved ones understand your pain, and pretty much all mortals cause their own problems." (A one, once again not a good start.) "Sure, from time to time, but it seems I'm a particularly potent trouble magnet! I've swindled, I've lied, I've hated..." "You still sound like the average mortal." (A five this time!) "Are you sure everything is going to be okay?" "Yes, no one who matters will fault you for living a life." (A two...) "You make the gods seem so chill, what about all the hoff and hellfire I've heard about my entire life?" "Well, like mortals gods are a mixed bag, some are good, some are evil, but most are just people, sure people with divine power, but people none the less." (Another two, not ideal.) "I don't know, this all seems too good to be true, at least compared to what I've been told my entire life..." "Why don't I have you meet one? Then you can decide for yourself." (A six!) "I don't even have a god, who would have me?" "Most gods are more understanding then you think." (A four!) "I'm... I'm not even sure I want a god, even all things considered..." "That's perfectly fine, do you like to travel? You can be an explorer, seeing all there is to see afterlife-wise, not tied down by a particular one!" "And that's allowed?" "Mortals are allowed more freedom than you think!" (And finally we have another six!) "Thank you... I think I'm ready to go now." And with that, a portal opened up and the two of them stepped through.                 

    

           

         

Comments